CIGNA Government Services announced the launch of a new video information series called "Medicare Minutes," which are short video updates provided by Dr. Robert Hoover, Medical Director for DME MAC Jurisdiction C. This week CIGNA launched a three-part information series on the Positive Airway Pressure Device (PAP) policy. In this series, Dr. Hoover outlines the critical aspects of the new policy and the changes that impact how DME suppliers and providers conduct sleep tests and document their findings.
The series is divided into three parts and includes the following highlights:
- The change in national policy allowing the use of home sleep test technology
- The importance of the face-to-face evaluation with the treating physician
- How demonstration of benefit from PAP is documented
The video does not address who can interpret the sleep study that includes the following:
- Current certification in Sleep Medicine by the American Board of Sleep Medicine (ABSM); or,
- Current subspecialty certification in Sleep Medicine by a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS); or,
- Completed residency or fellowship training by an ABMS member board and has completed all the requirements for subspecialty certification in sleep medicine except the examination itself and only until the time of reporting of the first examination for which the physician is eligible; or,
- Active staff membership of a sleep center or laboratory accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) or The Joint Commission (formerly the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations – JCAHO).
The full three part video can be viewed on the CIGNA Web site.