Become an AASM Fellow
Take the next step to upgrade your member status to Fellow – a prestigious standing of AASM membership. Fellow status recognizes outstanding contributions in sleep medicine and dedicated membership in the Academy.
The AASM accepts Fellow applications on an annual review schedule. To apply to be an AASM Fellow, view the requirements and schedule below.
Over 2,000 members and counting have attained this distinction. Join them!
- Membership with the AASM as a Full or Team member for the last five consecutive years
- Demonstration of special contributions to scientific literature or significant advancements in the field of sleep medicine in at least two of three areas: Scholarship, Service, or Education (Health Professionals/Public Awareness)
- Two letters of recommendation/support:
- Letter of recommendation from an AASM Fellow member or someone board certified in sleep medicine describing the nominee’s achievements in at least two of the three areas noted. Letter cannot be written by a current AASM board member.
- Second letter of support from an independent medical professional outside the group or department of the nominee. This letter of recommendation cannot be written by an immediate family member, a subordinate, or a current AASM board member.
- Copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae and documentation of certification, if applicable
|Applications Open for 2022:||Oct. 11, 2021 to Dec. 1, 2021|
|Application Review:||Dec. 1, 2021 to Dec. 15, 2021|
|Results Shared with Applicants:||Mid-February|
|New Fellow Members Announced to Public:||April 1|
|New Fellow Ceremony:||AASM Membership Meeting at SLEEP (June)|
CV/Resume Writing Tips
To improve your application, your CV/Resume should also include neatly organized sections with clear headings and distinct conceptual divisions. Experience may be divided with headings such as “Educational Activities” or “Scholarship” or “Service”
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) Template [UMass Medical School]
- Creating a standout CV [American Medical Association]
Sample Fellow Applications
- How do I find out if I have been a member for 5 consecutive years?
- Contact email@example.com for assistance in looking up your member term status
- May I reapply if I am not accepted as a Fellow this year?
- While most applicants have many outstanding accomplishments, some may fall short of describing the significant achievements for the contribution areas. We encourage members to reapply when they have met the requirements.
- Do I need to be board certified in sleep medicine to qualify?
- No, Board certification is not a requirement.
- How do I find someone to help write a letter of recommendation?
- Try searching the online membership directory.
How Do I Submit An Application?
To apply, please submit the following at one time:
- Fellow Application
- (2) letters of recommendation/support
- Documentation of board certification, if applicable.
To the AASM by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or send by mail to:
American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Attn: Membership Department
2510 North Frontage Road
Darien, IL 6056
Submission of an application does not guarantee acceptance as an AASM Fellow member.