The Emerging Technology Committee monitors and evaluates emerging and evolving technologies that impact the practice of sleep medicine. This committee is responsible for developing AASM member resources that provide information and analysis on emerging consumer and clinical sleep technology and potential ways to incorporate this technology into clinical practice, when/if appropriate.
Access recent resources created by the Emerging Technology Committee, including articles, the #SleepTechnology directory of popular sleep devices, a glossary of terms, and more.
Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine
To address the growing use of consumer sleep technology and sleep apps, the committee published a position paper and follow-up articles in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine.
- Consumer Sleep Technology: An American Academy of Sleep Medicine Position Statement
- Consumer Sleep Technologies: How to Balance the Promises of New Technology with Evidence-Based Medicine and Clinical Guidelines
- Evaluating consumer and clinical sleep technologies: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine update
The committee published articles in Montage, the AASM’s quarterly magazine for members.
- Digital health technologies and their impact on sleep medicine (Spring 2020)
- Emerging Sleep Technologies: Novel Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment Alternatives (Fall 2021)
- Detailed information about emerging sleep apnea treatment alternatives can be found in this supplemental table, which compares devices side-by-side.
The AASM Emerging Technology Committee developed the #SleepTechnology directory to familiarize AASM members with new and popular sleep devices and apps. The listings provide concise, at-a-glance summaries of both the capabilities and limitations of this technology. This resource will continue to be updated with new listings, including the addition of summaries for novel clinical devices that patients may want to discuss with sleep medicine providers. Visit #SleepTechnology.
A blog post on AASM’s website provides “behind-the-scenes” insight about the #SleepTechnology resource. Read Consumer sleep technology: Guidance for sleep clinicians.
Quick Reference Guide
This helpful guide created by the committee defines common terms related to consumer sleep technology and app and provides information on sensors. Read the quick reference guide.
Talking Sleep Podcast
Are you overwhelmed by the constantly changing landscape of sleep technologies? Having trouble keeping up with your patient’s latest sleep tracker? In an episode of Talking Sleep, members of the Emerging Technology Committee discuss AASM resources to evaluate sleep-related clinical and consumer devices to help further your understanding of sleep technology.