Per the AASM Accreditation Process and Policies an accredited program must notify the AASM within 30 days of any significant change within the accredited program or services offered. This is required to ensure the AASM approves all changes to retain your accreditation status and to ensure all communications from the AASM are received in a timely and efficient manner preventing any lapse in status.
The following special considerations is a list of situations that warrant notification to the AASM and submission of a special consideration application for AASM approval.
- Requires submission of a Special Circumstance application within 90 days of the relocation date.
- Special Circumstance application has an associated fee of $1,000.
- Site visit will be conducted remotely following review and approval of application materials.
Materials required to be submitted for the new location:
- Letter, signed by the Facility Director, indicating the new address, previous address, effective date of the relocation and any other pertinent information regarding the change (total bed capacity change).
- Location must maintain a valid state license to provide health care services (e.g. permit to provide healthcare services, certificate of occupancy, building permit, or fire inspection completed by Fire Marshal).
- Floor Plan
- Emergency Policies
- Emergency Drill Report
*Facilities/Programs that relocate less than 18 months before their accreditation expiration date may complete an early reaccreditation application. Contact the accreditation department at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Materials required to be submitted for a change in Facility Director:
- Letter, signed by either the incoming or outgoing Facility Director, including the change, the effective date, and attesting continued compliance with the current AASM Standards for Accreditation.
- Copy of the new Facility Director’s valid medical license (with expiration date).
- Copy of the new Facility Director’s board certification in sleep medicine.
- Documentation of 30 AMA PRA Category 1 CME credits in sleep medicine earned within the past 36 months.
Materials required to be submitted for a change in Primary Contact:
- Notification on facility letterhead or from an official facility email account from the Facility Director or the outgoing primary contact, indicating the primary contact change and the effective date.
- The name of the outgoing primary contact and the new primary contact.
- The new primary contact’s title, email address, and direct contact phone number.
- Only one primary contact can be submitted per facility.
Materials required to be submitted for an agency closure:
- Letter, signed by the Facility Director, detailing the closure with the effective date. The letter should include a forwarding address for AASM correspondence to this facility.
Materials required to be submitted for a sleep program name change:
- Letter, signed by the Facility Director, including the change in sleep program name, the effective date, and continued compliance with the AASM Standards for Accreditation.
- The letter should attest the sleep program name change is not due to a change in ownership; if change is due to ownership change, follow “Change of Control/Ownership of the Facility/Program”” procedure above.
Materials required to be submitted for a change of Control/Ownership of the Facility/Program:
- Letter, signed by the new owner (buyer), indicating the change, effective date, and address for the legal owner.
- Letter, signed by the previous owner (seller), indicating the change and effective date.
- Letter, signed by the Facility Director, attesting continued operations under the current policies and procedures and compliance with the AASM Standards for Accreditation.
- Any new policies/procedures implemented should be submitted for AASM review and approval.
- Entities can combine all requested content and signatures into one letter for ease.
- All written communication should be on official sleep facility letterhead.
Materials required to be submitted for an expansion in total bed capacity:
- Letter, signed by the Facility Director, indicating the effective date of the expansion in total bed capacity, the number of beds added, and the new total bed capacity.
- Letter should indicate whether new technical staff were added with names and title (if applicable).
- Photos of the new sleep bedrooms (and bathrooms, if applicable).
- An 8 ½” by 11” floor plan of the entire sleep facility, including room dimensions for each sleep bedroom, bathroom and the control room. Ensure handicap accessibility is labeled.
- Credentials for additional technical staff:
- Date of hire for new staff member.
- Registration and/or license (if applicable) for RPSGT, RST or RRT-SDS.
- Confirmation of A-STEP/CAAHEP/CoARC completion or enrollment for non-registered sleep technicians.
- Valid CPR certification with cognitive and skills training.
- Evidence of 30 CE credits earned in sleep-related topics within the past 36 months or Technical Staff continuing education credit (CEC) policy.
- Letter, signed by the Facility Director, indicating the effective date of the reduction of total bed capacity, the number of beds reduced, and the new total bed capacity.
Materials required to be submitted for adding pediatric services to an existing accredited program:
- Letter, signed by the Facility Director, indicating the effective date of the change and the age range of patients that will be accepted going forward.
- Patient Acceptance policy defining new age range.
- Comprehensive Pediatric PSG protocol.
- Pediatric CPAP and BiPAP protocols.
- Pediatric Capnography protocol.
An Expansion of a Specialty Practice Clinic application is needed when accrediting a new specialty practice clinic or relocating an existing accredited specialty practice clinic.
- Expansion of a Specialty Practice Clinic Location application has an associated fee of $500.
Materials required to be submitted for the new location:
- Submit a notification letter on Specialty Practice letterhead, signed by the Medical Director, indicating the address of the new clinic location, effective date, and any other pertinent information.
- Specialty Practice License
- Advertising Materials
- Additional Staff Credentials (if applicable)
How to make a program change by submitting a special considerations application?
- Log into your My Organizations page.
- Click the desired organization’s “Request Change” link
- Choose the appropriate special consideration application for the type of program change required.
- Upload all the requested information in the application.
- Submit application upon 100% complete, along with any associated fee (Special Circumstance Relocation application only).
- Await the AASM review and approval.