For Immediate Release
Contact: Kathleen McCann
American Academy of Sleep Medicine
WESTCHESTER, Ill. – The American Academy of Sleep Medicine announced today that it has launched a new blog at www.sleepmeeting.blogspot.com to give members, the media and the public live updates from the Baltimore Convention Center when the SLEEP 2008 22nd Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies convenes from June 9 to 12.
More than 1,150 research abstract presentations will communicate the latest findings in sleep research to more than 5,000 scientists and sleep specialists at SLEEP 2008, which is a joint venture of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep Research Society. The scientific program also features seven invited lectures and more than 85 symposia, clinical workshops, and discussion groups on topics ranging from neuroscience and genetics to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders such as insomnia, narcolepsy, and sleep apnea.
“SLEEP 2008 will feature both cutting-edge research and the latest information about the clinical practice of sleep medicine,” said Dr. Michael Vitiello, chair of the APSS program committee. “The SLEEP 2008 blog will provide timely updates as well as important news and research findings for individuals who are unable to attend the meeting.”
Currently the blog at www.sleepmeeting.blogspot.com is being updated daily with pre-meeting announcements. After the plenary session from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Monday, June 9, the blog will be updated multiple times a day with highlights from the meeting.
Dr. J. Allan Hobson will give the keynote address during the plenary session on “Sleep, Dreaming and Consciousness – A New Paradigm.” Hobson is a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School in Boston, Mass.
The Associated Professional Sleep Societies LLC is a joint venture of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep Research Society. In addition to organizing SLEEP 2008, the APSS also publishes Sleep, a monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal.
The SLEEP 2008 22nd Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies is open to the media. To register for a press pass, to schedule interviews, or for more information, contact director of communications Kathleen McCann at (708) 492-0930 ext. 9316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SLEEP 2008 Highlights
- Dates: Monday, June 9, to Thursday, June 12
- Location: Baltimore Convention Center, One West Pratt Street
- Attendees: More than 5,000 sleep scientists, sleep specialists, allied health professionals and students
- Scientific Program: More than 1,150 abstract presentations and 85 sessions
- Exhibit Hall: More than 150 exhibits from industry leaders in pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, publications and software
- Plenary Session: Monday, June 9, from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Keynote Address: “Sleep, Dreaming and Consciousness – A New Paradigm” by Dr. J. Allan Hobson, professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School in Boston
Online Resources for Media
- Press Releases: https://www.aasmnet.org/PressReleases.aspx
- SLEEP 2008 Blog: https://sleepmeeting.blogspot.com/
- Final Program: https://www.sleepmeeting.org/Program/Program.aspx
- Abstract Book: https://www.journalsleep.org/PDF/AbstractBook2008.pdf
- Media Guidelines: https://www.sleepmeeting.org/pdf/mediaguidelines.pdf
- Fact Sheets: https://www.aasmnet.org/FactSheets.aspx
- SLEEP 2008: www.sleepmeeting.org
- Exhibitor Listing: https://www.sleepmeeting.org/2008Exhibitors.aspx