Last year, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) revised its process for the nomination of officers for the Board of Directors based on recommendations from the Presidential Task Force on the Nomination and Election of Officers and a ballot ratified by the membership.
As outlined in the bylaws, the Nominating Committee has been expanded to five members: the current President, the President-elect, the Immediate Past President, and two at-large members elected by the membership. For the first year (2011) of the revised nomination process, the Chair of the Membership Sections Committee will serve as one of the at-large members of the Nominating Committee and the second at-large member will be elected by the membership for a two-year term. This structure ensures continuity of the Nominating Committee.
With these parameters outlined, the AASM invites nominations from the membership for one two-year term on the Nominating Committee.
Members interested in serving as the at-large member of the Nominating Committee must meet the following qualifications, which are outlined in the bylaws:
- The individual must be a member, in good standing, of the AASM for at least five consecutive years.
- The individual must have prior service on an AASM Committee or leadership of an approved AASM Section at some time in the past five years.
- The individual must meet the same conflict of interest standards required of the Board of Directors.
- Requesting, receiving and reviewing nominations from the membership for leadership offices that have current vacancies.
- Requesting, receiving and reviewing nominations from the membership for the awards presented by the AASM at the SLEEP annual meeting.
- Submitting a report with its formal recommendations for leadership candidates and award recipients to the Board of Directors by March.
Members interested in serving as the at-large member of the Nominating Committee are encouraged to submit their intent by 12:00 p.m. on Friday, December 3, 2010. Interested members are required to submit the following application materials:
- A two-page C.V. that details professional experience as well as the membership and volunteer qualifications outlined above. The standard biosketch may be used.