Facilities must employ at least one sleep technologist that is registered in sleep technology or accepted to sit for the registry examination through one of the following organizations:
- American Board of Sleep Medicine (ABSM)
- Registered Sleep Technologist (RST)
- National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC)
- Registered Respiratory Therapist – Sleep Disorder Specialist (RRT-SDS)
- Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT)
- Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT)
- Another organization that offers an equivalent examination accepted by the AASM
The registry exam must be passed within one year from acceptance to sit for the examination. The individual(s) fulfilling this standard must be present at the facility at least 30 hours per week. If the facility is open fewer than 40 hours per week, then the registered technologist(s) must be present at the facility for 75% of operating hours.
A facility that loses its sole registered technologist will have 120 days to fulfill this standard.