The AASM Payer Policy Review Committee recently reviewed five payer policies, focusing on diagnostic testing for obstructive sleep apnea in adults. The Committee evaluated the insurers’ policies and assigned a score based on nine criteria, aligned with the AASM’s Clinical Practice Guideline for Diagnostic Testing for Adult Obstructive Apnea. Payers whose policies were reviewed include:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Blue Shield of California
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee Program
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
- Aetna revised policy
AASM scorecards are created to evaluate how effective payer policies are at establishing appropriate coverage for diagnostic sleep testing services and to encourage insurers to adopt evidence-based policies that support patient safety and delivery of high-quality care.