Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Travel and Registration Grant
The AASM’s Board of Directors has launched the new Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Travel and Registration Grant for the SLEEP Meeting.
The primary purpose of the grant is to provide AASM members whose demographic characteristics are underrepresented within the AASM’s volunteer and leadership population an opportunity to become more engaged so one day they are no longer underrepresented. The grant will cover registration fees and include travel assistance in future years when SLEEP is held as an in-person meeting.
Eligible underrepresented groups are defined by the AASM using demographic data from the July 2019 DEI report as follows:
- Members who are Hispanic/Latin, Black/African American, Native American/Alaskan, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, and those within Other/Mixed demographic category whose overall members are small and in total are only 5% of the AASM leadership population.
- Member of Small Group Practice and Solo Practice (Owner) who in total represent 31% of members who reported their practice setting and are only 7% of volunteers and 10% of leaders. Includes Clinical providers or Technicians with small group or solo practice.
- Individuals who self-identify as a member of an underrepresented group but are not included above are eligible to apply. This could apply to categories where the AASM does not have enough data to measure representation such as sexual orientation and gender identity, or certain medical specialties such as Pediatrics and Anesthesiology.
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- Active AASM Member through December 31, 2021
- Member category listed as a Regular, In-Training, Sleep Medicine Trainee member who is less than five years out of training, or a Sleep Team member who has been in the field for less than five years and who is also part of an underrepresented group as defined above
*Economic hardship is not a requirement to receive the grant. Preference will be given to first-time applicants who meet the above qualifications.
- Online application form with personal statement questions
- Curriculum vitae (CV), bio-sketch or resume
Applications for the 2021 grant are due 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on February 22, 2021.