Many private payers have shared announcements regarding coverage of testing and treatment for COVID-19. Some policies include:
- Waiving co-pays for COVID-19 testing
- Expanding scope of contracted lab partners to support access to testing
- Confirming that prior authorization and/or referrals will not be required for covered services that are medically necessary and consistent with CDC guidance for beneficiaries diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Waiving cost-sharing for telemedicine visits for a limited time
- Waiving prescription refill limits for a limited time
Information regarding updates for several private payers can be accessed below, as it has been made publicly available.
- United Healthcare
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (includes these 36 Blue Cross Blue Shield companies)
- Harvard Pilgrim
- Priority Health
Members are encouraged to check for COVID-19 resources on private payer websites through provider portals and to contact private payers directly for guidance, if requirements for reimbursement for testing and treatment of COVID-19 remain unclear. Additional reimbursement questions may be sent to email@example.com.