Annually, the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) publishes a work plan for the fiscal year. The 2011 plan, which can be downloaded in PDF format on the OIG website, describes audits and evaluations underway and under development. The plan provides readers with insight into the main areas under investigation by the OIG and outlines the OIG’s enforcement and compliance activities.
The work plan for 2011 includes a number of sleep-related initiatives:
- Appropriateness of Medicare Payments for Polysomnography (Page I-17)
- Medicare Payments for Sleep Testing (Page I-17)
- Excessive Payments for Diagnostic Tests (Page I-17)
- Geographic Areas With a High Density of Independent Diagnostic Testing Facilities (Page I-18)
- Independence Diagnostic Testing Facilities’ Compliance with Medicare Standards (Page I-19)