Most successful endeavors, including those in the medical field, start with thoughtful planning. In this issue of Montage, we look at the planning process from a few unique perspectives. We report on the first AASM-accredited sleep center on Native American land, where careful planning ensures high quality patient care while still honoring tradition. We learn about how one sleep technician’s own sleep disorder made her plan a specific career path. We also go behind the scenes to see how some AASM member resources are made so that they can aid members in planning and executing their own career objectives. We extend a big thank you to all our AASM members who promote quality care in innovative and thoughtful ways.
The Montage Team
Celebrating 30 years of membership!
Alan S. Eiser, PhD, FAASM
Alexander Z. Golbin, MD, PhD, FAASM
Avram R. Gold, MD, FAASM
David L. McLaren, MD, FAASM
George Yu, MD, FAASM
Henry J. Matick, DO, FAASM
Joseph Q. Henkle, MD, FAASM
Patrick J. Strollo Jr., MD, FAASM
Pradeep K. Sahota, MD, FAASM
Richard B. Berry, MD, FAASM
Rolf Holle, MD, FAASM
Ronald S. Szymusiak, PhD, FAASM
Saul A Rothenberg, PhD, FAASM
W. Vaughn McCall, MD, FAASM
What’s New for 2019?
The AASM is constantly working to create additional ways to support our members, and we are pleased to announce a few new recent changes so that we can support you even more.
New Membership Categories
- Retired Member: For Individuals 65 years of age or older and working zero hours per week in the field of sleep medicine. No voting privileges.
- Sleep Medicine Trainee Member: For MD, DO, PHD or other degrees currently in an ACGME-accredited sleep medicine training program or similar training program. Full voting privileges.
- Sleep Team Member, formally Affiliate: For Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Nurses, Sleep Technologists, Respiratory Therapists, Office/Center Managers, Medical Assistants, etc.
- In-Training Member, formally Students: For those in medical school, residency, a master’s degree program, a non-sleep medicine fellowship program, or a Ph.D. program.
- Affiliate Member, formally Affiliate-Industry: For all others who are active in clinical and/or research aspects of sleep medicine.
Emeritus Member: Age requirement has been reduced from 70 to 65 years.
2018-2019 Board of Directors
- Douglas Kirsch, MD, President
- Ilene M. Rosen, MD, MS, Immediate Past President
- Kelly A. Carden, MD, MBA, President-Elect
- Raman Malhotra, MD, Secretary/Treasurer
- R. Nisha Aurora, MD, MHS
- David Kristo, MD
- Jennifer Martin, PhD
- Eric Olson, MD
- Kannan Ramar, MD
- Carol L. Rosen, MD
- James Rowley, MD
- Anita Shelgikar, MD
This content was published in the Fall 2018 issue of Montage, the official membership publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM). To read more content from this issue, click the button below!