As the sleep medicine field continues to evolve, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine requires strong leaders to set the strategic direction for the organization. The AASM invites qualified members to nominate themselves to be considered for positions that will be opening in 2016 on the AASM Board of Directors, AASM Nominating Committee and APSS Program Committee.
All interested candidates should review the qualifications and responsibilities prior to submitting the required documentation by Oct. 30, 2015:
- AASM Board of Directors: There will be 2 openings for a three-year term of service as an at-large member of the Board of Directors. Directors are eligible for re-election for not more than one additional consecutive term. Directors are required to attend five face-to-face meetings annually and participate in conference calls as necessary. The names of the final candidates will be submitted to the membership for election to the position.
- AASM Nominating Committee: There will be 1 opening for a two-year term of service as an at-large member of the Nominating Committee, which is responsible for evaluating applications received from the membership for open positions on the Board of Directors and recommending highly qualified candidates for service in leadership capacities. The name of the final candidate will be submitted to the membership for election to the position.
- APSS Program Committee: There will be 2 openings for a two-year term of service as an AASM representative on the APSS Program Committee, which is a joint committee of the AASM and the Sleep Research Society. The committee plans the educational and scientific program for the SLEEP annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies (APSS). The final appointments for this position will be made by the AASM Board of Directors.
Standard qualifications for service in any of these roles include:
- An AASM member in good standing
- A member of the AASM for at least five consecutive years
- Service on an AASM committee or task force at some time in the past five years
Terms of service for new appointees to the AASM Board of Directors, AASM Nominating Committee and APSS Program Committee will commence in June at SLEEP 2016.
Members interested in nominating themselves for one or more of these three roles are required to review the conflict of interest policy before completing and submitting the following documentation:
- Conflict of interest disclosure form
- Biosketch (maximum two pages)
- Letter of intent (maximum two pages)
The required documentation must be submitted to Becky Roberts in the AASM national office by email to email@example.com, fax to (630) 737-9790 or postal mail:
American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Attn: Becky Roberts
2510 N. Frontage Road
Darien, IL 60561
The deadline for all required documentation to be submitted to the AASM national office is Friday, Oct. 30, 2015.