RBD – Past, Present, Future Part 2 Webcast 2021
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine presents a webcast on REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD). RBD is parasomnia characterized by dream enactment in the context of loss of physiological atonia during REM sleep. RBD is of particular importance to sleep medicine, neurology, and neurosciences as it is one of the earliest manifestations of α-synuclein related neurodegeneration. The majority of patients with isolated RBD eventually develop Parkinson’s disease, dementia with Lewy bodies, or multiple system atrophy. Part 2 will focus on the associations between RBD and neurodegeneration and the significance of the RBD population for upcoming clinical trials to slow the progression of neurodegenerative disorders associated with RBD.
- RBD and Synuclein-specific Neurodegenerative Disorders
- Ron Postuma, MD – McGill University, Canada
- Biomarkers of Neurodegeneration in RBD
- Ambra Stefani, MD – University of Innsbruck, Austria
- Clinical Trials in RBD – Challenges and Opportunities
- Aleksandar Videnovic, MD – Harvard University, USA