Sleep Without Stark
The Benefits of Coordinated Care
The Stark Law has become a nightmare for sleep physicians and their Medicare patients suffering from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). For sleep physicians and patients alike, coordinated sleep care, free from the burden and overreach of the Stark Law, would be a dream come true.
Using Positive Airway Pressure (PAP) equipment has the potential to drastically improve the quality of life of Medicare patients suffering from the far-reaching effects of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)—an estimated 20-30% of all Medicare beneficiaries.
Untreated OSA dramatically raises the risks of developing potentially lethal comorbid diseases; proper sleep treatment led by a sleep physician impacts many facets of patient health. For Medicare patients with OSA, quality sleep care has countless other benefits—benefits that extend well beyond their seven hours in bed. Comprehensive
sleep physician involvement from diagnosis to therapy improves the lives of Medicare patients 24 hours a day.
Patient Health Benefits
- Risk of stroke is decreased by 31%
- 52% reduction in the risk of motor vehicle collisions
- Increased daytime alertness and energy to complete daily tasks
- Risk of heart attack is decreased by 49%
Clinical Practice Benefits
- Thorough patient education
- Efficient medical record keeping and fewer documentation errors
- Increased treatment compliance
- Long-term savings on healthcare and hospitalization costs
For all questions, comments, and opportunities for collaboration, please contact AASM advocacy staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) at (630) 737-9700.