High School Video Contest
|Issue Date:||January 12, 2021|
|Submission Due Date:||February 16, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. EST|
|Amount of Award:||Up to $1,000|
|Contact:||American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Attn: Esther Eccleston
Teens in the U.S. are invited to enter the 2021 AASM “Sleep is Essential” High School Video Contest. Entrants will compete for a cash prize and raise awareness about the importance of sleep for teens. High school students can enter the contest by submitting an original video that is 15 to 60 seconds long to help teens understand that sleep is essential.
Along with a balanced diet and regular exercise, sleep is one of the pillars of a healthy lifestyle. Getting the sleep that your body needs is essential for your health, well-being, and mood. Sleep also helps you perform your best at school. When you get good sleep, your memory is sharper, and you think more clearly and creatively. Sleep also energizes you for peak performance in sports, making you faster, stronger, and more accurate. Finally, sleep keeps you safe by helping you to avoid motor vehicle accidents caused by drowsy driving.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that teens between 13 and 18 years of age should sleep 8 to 10 hours per night on a regular basis to promote optimal health. However, CDC data show that nearly 75% of U.S. high school students report sleeping fewer than 8 hours on an average school night. These students are experiencing chronic sleep restriction, which can have a negative impact on their physical and mental health, academic and athletic performance, and mood. Chronic sleep loss also can influence teens’ decision-making, putting personal and public safety at risk.
The 2021 AASM “Sleep is Essential” High School Video Contest entry period opens Jan. 12, 2021, and closes Feb. 16, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
The Contest is open to any individual who is 13 years of age or older and is enrolled in a high school in the United States at the time of entry. (U.S. high school students who are home-schooled are also eligible to enter. High school students who attend a Department of Defense school also are eligible for the contest, even if the school is in another country.) No purchase of any sort is necessary, and there is no entry fee. Each submission must be the primary work of one individual (the “Entrant”).
After posting your video on Instagram, TikTok, or YouTube with the hashtag #EssentialSleep2021, you must submit to the AASM a public link to the video along with a completed entry form. Contest winners also will be asked for an MP4 file of their video.
Selection of Winner(s):
A panel of Judges (comprising physicians and teens) will review videos for originality and quality as well as the appropriateness, relevance, and accuracy of the messages.
- 1st Place: $1,000 split evenly between you and your school
- 2nd Place: $500 split evenly between you and your school
- Teen’s Choice: $250 split evenly between you and your school
Note: The Teen’s Choice winner is chosen by teen ambassadors.
AGREEMENT TO RULES
Each Entrant must comply with all the terms and conditions of the official rules (the “Rules”) contained herein. By participating in the Contest, each Entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to be bound by and accepts the terms and conditions of these Rules and the decisions of the AASM and its Judges (including, without limitation, the selection of finalists and winners, and the awarding of prizes), which are final and binding in all respects.
- You represent and warrant that you meet the requirements and qualifications for this Contest, and that you have read these Rules and are fully familiar with them.
- You represent and warrant that you will be severally liable for any failure to comply with these Rules.
- If you are under 18, you represent that you have your parent or guardian’s permission to enter the Contest.
- Runtime: NEW IN 2021 — Video submissions must be 15 to 60 seconds long, including any credits.
- Message: The video must help teens understand that sleep is essential.
- Style: Submissions can be in any style or genre, including animation, drama, comedy, musical, or documentary.
- Exclusivity: Submissions must be posted online during the dates of the contest and must not be entered in, or associated with, any other contest or campaign. Previously posted submissions from publicized contests will be disqualified.
- Terms of Service: Entrants must comply with the terms of service — including any community guidelines and copyright policies — for the platform that hosts your video:
If your video is removed from the host platform (i.e., Instagram, TikTok, or YouTube) for violation of its terms of service, you will be disqualified from the contest.
- Music: Use of music in the video is optional. To avoid violating copyright law, entrants are strongly encouraged to use either an original song; music available in the Instagram Reels music library, TikTok Sounds, or the YouTube Audio Library; or royalty-free licensed music (e.g., music purchased — or downloaded for free — from a stock music website).
- Permission: Contestants are responsible for securing all necessary rights, licenses, clearances, releases, consents and/or permissions from any other people who appear in the video entry.
- Originality: You represent and warrant that your entry is original and in full compliance with the terms of service of the platform hosting the video (i.e., Instagram, TikTok, or YouTube).
- Ownership: You retain ownership of your video. However, by entering the Contest, you grant to the AASM a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable license to use that video (including to reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works, display and perform it) in connection with the Contest and AASM’s (and its successors’ and Affiliates’) business, including for the purpose of promoting the Contest.
Video Submissions must NOT:
- Promote any product or brand.
- Violate the terms of service of the host platform (i.e., Instagram, TikTok, or YouTube).
- Identify other individuals by name, without written permission.
- Contain any of the following: profanity; content depicting or promoting sexual activity; content depicting or promoting illegal activity; content that depicts or promotes violence or harm; or any other offensive, obscene, or inappropriate content, which will be determined by the AASM and the Contest Judges.
- To the extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the AASM, its Affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including attorney’s fees) arising from: (i) your participation in the Contest; (ii) your violation of any term of this Agreement; (iii) your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right; or (iv) any claim that your video caused damage to a third party. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive this Agreement and the Contest.
- By submitting an entry, you grant to the AASM and its affiliated companies the right, except where prohibited by law, to use your name, likeness, picture, voice, biographical information, submission/entry and written or oral statements, for advertising and promotional purposes in promoting or publicizing the Contest, the AASM and its mission and services, without compensation unless required by law. You shall have no right of approval, no claim to compensation, and no claim (including, without limitation, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation, rights of integrity or attribution, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, alteration, or use in composite form of your name, picture, likeness, address (city and state only), biographical information, or entry.
- The rights granted herein shall extend to the AASM and its affiliated companies and agents with respect to all entrants in the Contest, including the entrant who is selected as the grand prize winner and those entrants who are not selected. The AASM is under no obligation to use the winning entries or any other entry for any purpose.
- All claims arising out of or relating to these Rules will be governed by Illinois law and will be litigated exclusively in the federal or state courts of DuPage County, Illinois.
2021 AASM High School Video Contest Winners
2020 AASM High School Video Contest Winners
2019 AASM “Sleep Works for You” High School Video Contest Winners
High School Video Contest 2011 – 2018
The AASM Foundation hosted a Topical Review in Sleep Science Contest in 2011 and an annual High School Video Contest from 2013 through 2018, focusing on motivating teens to prioritize the importance of sleep in their lives. Winners of these contests are shown below. The annual contest is now sponsored by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
2018 AASM Foundation “Make Time 2 Sleep” High School Video Contest Winners
Note: All prizes are split evenly between the winner(s) and their school. The People’s Choice winner is chosen by the general public through online voting.